2/10/2010

Driving Lessons

Since moving to Okinawa, we have had to learn to do several things that we aren't accustomed to. One of the most obvious is to learn to drive on the WRONG side of the road while seated on the WRONG side of the car. It takes a little getting used to but it you can be taught to drive in a foreign country.






First of all, you must always start out with a confident attitude! You are in charge of this vehicle, not the other way around. So what if you are used to sitting on the other side of the car and haven't figured out how to estimate the distance to the curb yet! After running up on that left side curb about three times, you'll get the hang of it! Remember, confidence.






A smile can go a mile! Everyone say it with me. It helps to keep a positive attitude. When you cut that person off during your right-hand turn because you're used to having the right of way during your right-hand turns, just flash them a smile. 'Cause who can REALLY be mad at somebody with a beautiful smile?






Now, if you flash that smile and they still get mad and yell or worse, make crazy gestures that you don't want to understand, don't hesitate to use the STARE! Works every time,

I promise!




You will need some serious patience here. People drive like they're crazy. I mean it. They stop in the middle of the road, turn on their hazards, get out, and go into the store! They might pull slightly over if you get lucky! Also the highest speed limit I have ran across is 60 km, which is only 37.28 mph! So turn on your favorite tunes, it's gonna be awhile!






When you FINALLY make it to your destination, feel confident in knowing that you are considered a "professional driver" in this country! Oh yeah, and when you depart the car, you have to get out on the right-hand side!


There are apparently no child-restraint rules over here. It is the craziest thing! I see little kids half-hanging out of the windows and in various different spots inside the car. The other day I saw a tiny baby being held in the front seat, just crazy!


This makes me sad. My baby is growing up too fast! She just had to sit in her "baby" car seat for the last time today. We sold it to a nice girl who was having her first baby. Don't worry, she hasn't used this thing for months!





This was only around 9 months ago! How time flies! She has changed so much!


Thanks for "driving" in Japan with us today! Next time, how to "fake" communicate when you don't know a lick of Japanese!



newsig

4 comments:

AshleyAnn February 10, 2010 at 8:46 PM  

She is so cute and those car seat pictures....they do grow too fast!

ellieshine February 11, 2010 at 4:39 AM  

Love these photos . . . her eyes oh my they are so gorgeous!

I know just what you mean with your driving lesson! I hit more curbs then I can imagine. I kept wishing I had a sign on my car that said "warning driver from the other side"!

hugs from Australia :)

xo ellie

Blondiensc February 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

She is just a peach!! Driving sounds like a pain the you know what..glad you are getting the hang of it, and that you still use the child restraints, that would drive me crazy too!!! My son just pulled his baby car seat down the other day and sat in it, he looks HUGE!! lol...

Julie February 24, 2010 at 9:22 PM  

I can barely drive on the right side now I think I would be taking a lot of cabs if we were there. I remember that baby that fit in the little car seat :). It will be so amazing to watch her grow through your pictures

About Me

My photo
I am a wife, and mother to three beautiful babies (well..one is not so much a baby anymore)! In 2009 I departed my career of 14 years to stay at home with my babies. That first year I thought that I might just go crazy....I survived! The road has been bumpy but gets better everyday. I might even be getting a little more domesticated along the way! I'm learning to love this path that my life has taken. Can't wait to see what's next!

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP