2/11/2010

I heart cherry blossoms!

A couple of weekends ago, we went to our first Okinawan festival. It was cherry blossom season here and so we decided to go and check out the Cherry Blossom Festival in Nago City. Once the trees bloom, they only last for about a week or two, so every year folks line up to see the delicate flowers. These trees are a sight when they are in full bloom and if you ever get the chance to see them, you won't be disappointed! I think that the cherry blossom might be my new favorite tree. I would definitely like to plant a couple at our house in Texas. I wonder where we could find them at?


Here are a few of my favorite pictures from the festival.





The streets were crowded with all sorts of interesting people. The streets were lined with vendors selling all sorts of fragrant foods and treats. There were also tons of carnival-type games as well as live music and performances.










I just love the contrast here between the delicate blooms and the tropical foliage.












Aren't the cherry blossoms just lovely?

The Japanese word for cherry blossom is Sakura. Due to their short blooming time, the cherry blossom is often a metaphor for how fleeting life is and is used throughout Japan as an emblem of love, affection, and good fortune.






As we were leaving and the sun was setting, some of the local women performed a lovely dance. They were all adorned in beautiful pink tops and it was a sight to behold!




Here is my very own cherry blossom. She loved the festival with all of the new things to look at!










We had a lovely time and look forward to our next Okinawan festival!


Have a great weekend!




newsig

7 comments:

Parenting ad absurdum February 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

What fantastic photos! We have cherry blossoms in Seattle and they are my favorite too. When I lived in Victoria we would joke about Cherry Blossom Snow - the sidewalks and lawns get absolutely covered in petals. Thanks for dropping by to see me today!

Peryl

Blondiensc February 12, 2010 at 1:35 PM  

Those are gorgeous photo, I wanted a cherry blossom tree in my backyard the pool man thought he bought me one, but it doesn't bloom those pretty pink blossoms, infact it hardly blooms at all.. :(
Your little one is just so darling...happy weekend and Valentines day Alison!

Anonymous February 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM  

gorgeous gorgeous photos!!! oh my!!! just beautiful!

Julie February 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

Gorgeous!!! Such beautiful pictures & I can't believe how big Amelia is getting, she has grown so much in just a few months.

Julie February 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

Gorgeous!!! Such beautiful pictures & I can't believe how big Amelia is getting, she has grown so much in just a few months.

Julie February 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

Gorgeous!!! Such beautiful pictures & I can't believe how big Amelia is getting, she has grown so much in just a few months.

Julie February 24, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

Gorgeous!!! Such beautiful pictures & I can't believe how big Amelia is getting, she has grown so much in just a few months.

About Me

My photo
I am a wife, and mother to three beautiful babies (well..one is not so much a baby anymore)! In 2009 I departed my career of 14 years to stay at home with my babies. That first year I thought that I might just go crazy....I survived! The road has been bumpy but gets better everyday. I might even be getting a little more domesticated along the way! I'm learning to love this path that my life has taken. Can't wait to see what's next!

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP