10/14/2009

Change is coming...

So folks, it is pretty much official, we will be moving to Okinawa, Japan for awhile!
I never thought that after leaving the military, I would get the chance to live abroad.
This is all happening so fast and as chaotic as it is right now, I am looking at this as a great adventure! This will also be a chance for us to live a much simpler life for awhile as we can take very little of our things with us! We hear that the houses in Japan are quite a bit smaller than the ones in the United States so we are going to have to leave some of our things behind.


I am sad to have to leave behind my family and friends and it is breaking our hearts to have to find new families for our beloved pets. That is probably one of the hardest parts.
I am trying to stay optimistic and pray that we are making the right decision.
I really think that it will be a great opportunity for the children and cannot wait to see what lessons in life this is going to teach us!

My husband is super excited! He spent two years here while he was in the Marine Corps and he absolutely loved it! He cannot wait to show us some of the things he loved! Here is a look at some of the things we are looking forward to:


We are outdoors people. We love all things outdoors and this is the place to be for water sports and outdoor activities!



Okinawa, Japan has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world and is known as one of the best diving places in the world. Cannot wait to snorkel and get SCUBA certified here!



Look at that water! This water is amazingly clear and breathtaking! We love all sorts of things outdoors and cannot wait to take advantage of what this place offers!

I cannot wait to immerse myself in another culture! It is so very fascinating to see the way other people live and we plan on learning a lot from this amazing group of people!





I cannot wait to take lots of pictures of these amazing people we see and places we go.



Places like this. How cool is that?



Not to mention the historical significance of this island. As a Marine, I learned about the sacrifices that were made by our fellow Americans on this island many years ago. This island also holds a special place in my heart. My grandfather was a Marine and participated in the initial assault of Okinawa on April 1st 1945 in which he earned a Purple Heart. It will be such an honor to set feet on the same ground almost 65 years later.




How exciting would it be to go diving with these cute guys? I will most definitely have to get a waterproof housing for my camera!



I cannot wait to collect some of these guys! How pretty is that?


So, as I sit here thinking about the one million and a half things that have to be accomplished before we leave, I am excited and looking forward to a change.

If only I could avoid the 20 hour flight (any ideas)? Wow! I rambled on didn't I?
Have a blessed day!




images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

newsig

9 comments:

Kasey October 14, 2009 at 6:12 AM  

first and foremost I'm proud of you and your family for doing this.
second..you will be missed...you better keep your blog going..
and thirdly...
you know smaller houses mean co-sleeping...all the kids in one room with the family...
I think everyone shares one bed in Japan...
good luck getting a good night sleep.
lol
xo

Yelena R. October 14, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Wow that must be so exciting! I'm sure it will be difficult, but also so much fun! Good luck :)

Kathy Campbell October 14, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

That is so very exciting! My brother was based on Okinawa a couple years ago, so I heard all about it. Make sure to travel away from Okinawa too, because apparently it is the least Japanese place on the islands! Have fun though! Can't wait to hear all about your journey.

Jen October 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

WOW Ali, it is beautiful, makes me want to go! What a blessing for your family to have the opportunity to experience this. Best wishes to you all.

Jen

Stephanie October 14, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

What an exciting adventure! Those beaches are gorgeous..that makes it worth it right there.

Brooke October 14, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

What a great adventure for you all. I know it will be tough to say goodbye to what you have here, but all the adventures that await you will be worth it! And just think, what an awesome opportunity for your kids to experience another culture!

Unknown October 15, 2009 at 2:03 PM  

WOW this is a really big...huge...decision and I know you put a lot of thought and prayer into it. Many blessings to your family as you prepare to move. I sure hope you keep up with blogging while you're there, you would be missed if you didn't :) Think of all the exciting things you will have to write about!

:) T

Sarah October 15, 2009 at 4:04 PM  

When I was a kid, my dad was in the service...and although we weren't stationed in Okinowa (sp?), my best elem. school friend did have to move there...so, all the change for you...and of course, the people who stay behind...what a huge change...but, like you said. Lots of lessons and fun, new and exciting experiences!

Blessings!

tara October 23, 2009 at 5:00 PM  

What a huge decision you have made, but it looks like you are going with an open heart and mind! you better stay in contact while you are there, and keep up this lovely blog so we can get a glimpse of you on your new adventure!! xo

About Me

My photo
I am a wife, and mother to three beautiful babies (well..one is not so much a baby anymore)! In 2009 I departed my career of 14 years to stay at home with my babies. That first year I thought that I might just go crazy....I survived! The road has been bumpy but gets better everyday. I might even be getting a little more domesticated along the way! I'm learning to love this path that my life has taken. Can't wait to see what's next!

Followers

About This Blog

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP